Starting a Business Here
“How do I start my business” is one of the most frequently asked questions that we regularly get at the Chamber.
- Meriden Department of Economic & Community Development: Joe Feest, Director
- State of Connecticut Business Resource Site: one-stop-shop where entrepreneurs can easily find information and quickly create a checklist with everything required to start up or manage their business in Connecticut.
- One favorite link is: https://ctsbdc.com/staff_members/shelly-koehler/ to connect with Shelly Koehler, our Small Business Development Center (SBDC) Business Advisor. Shelly has a local office in the Meriden City Hall.
- If you will have employees, or might have employees in the future, You will need a federal EIN (Employers Identification Number).
- If you will be withholding state sales tax or Connecticut income tax you’ll need to register with the State Department of Revenue Services.
- And you’ll need to register with the State of Connecticut Administrator of Unemployment Compensation Insurance.
- The Secretary of the State’s office created a New Business Startup Tool.
In addition, you can call the Chamber for specific questions.